Word Pipes!!! Super Mario Word Families Printables

As part of our Super Mario Bros. week(s), I created these "Word Pipes" for creating word families. They are essentially the same concept as word ladders, but with a Mario theme.


Pin It
The child can either write the beginning sounds on the pipes or (for non-writers) use the beginning sounds tiles I've included below.


I thought these would add a fun twist to something that tends to be pretty mundane. We played with these today and Robbie LOVED them. He had fun making nonsense words (an important part of the process of learning to read and spell) along with real words.





These are NOT comprehensive, but they cover many of the most common families (both long, short and r/l controlled vowels are includes).

"A" Word Pipes

"E" Word Pipes

"I" Word Pipes

"O" Word Pipes

"U" Word Pipes

Beginning Consonants, Blends and Digraphs Tiles (includes two blank word pipes -- ink/paper savers can simply laminate these and write the word family endings as they need them).

Download the entire set of Word Pipes and tiles

You can see more about our Super Mario Bros week here. You can also download all of our Super Mario printables for FREE here.

14 comments:

  1. WOW HOw cool. I downloaded! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this! So glad I found your site! You have so many amazing teaching materials:) I am now following you thanks to Follow Friday, and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
    Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday :) See you there! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AWESOME. My 5yo daughter loves the Mario games so I know this will be a big hit!

    Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to check out the rest of your Mario week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to share this and link up on my blog. Would you mind if I used your picture with the link? I have it scheduled for 4/7. Let me know. =)
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks so much! Can't wait to look around more, already added you to my reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, my son LOVES mario! I came from activitymom's site to check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful. My boy is having a Mario birthday party soon and I stumbled on to your site. It's very cool. Thanks for sharing all of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Thank you! I re-posted on Pinterest with your site so hopefully you get lots of new visitors! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Thank you! I re-posted on Pinterest with your site so hopefully you get lots of new visitors! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know that I brought these home yesterday with the goal that my kindergartener would write one word a day on whichever pipe he'd like after he does his homework ... He LOVED them so much he filled out 3 & we have posted on our Mario themed playroom door! I will try to send you pictures soon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome, LoudaLyn! I'm so glad that your little one is enjoying them. :) I would love to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these, thank you so much for sharing. They inspired me to create a similar version for my son. I posted on my blog about it and linked back to you, hope you don't mind! http://momhascooties.blogspot.com/2014/08/my-son-has-been-working-on-sight-words.html#more

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.