Current Read-Alouds

Read-Alouds


I got my library card!! No, I didn't go crazy. RockerDad and Robbie were with me and they were a bit distracting. Plus, I was getting acquainted with our new library. I'll go back with a plan next time.


"Bald Eagles"
Doug Wechsler

This book is laid out in 2 page spreads. One page will tell some things about the bird, the other holds a large photograph. We'll definitely look for more books in this series. Robbie picked this book out and it has been his undisputed favorite this week. He has pretended to be an eagle, making a nest, picking up food with his talons... he even told me that his chicken legs (dinner one night) were carrion.



"Mattland"
Hazel Hutchins & Gail Herbert

Matt doesn't like his new town. Quite accidentally, he begins to create his own miniature town out of natural and found items. Then others come to help. It's a fun book about making the best of what you have. This is another book which led to a ton of imaginative play. While there's way too much snow outside to make rivers and such, Robbie has used just about anything he can find to create "Robbietown" over and over this week.


A few others we've read this week:

  • Zathura (Chris Van Allsburg)

  • A Child's Garden of Verses (Robert Louis Stevenson)

  • Time of Wonder (Robert McCloskey)

  • Kipper's Snowy Day (Mick Inkpen)


NOT a hit with either of us: Groundhog Weather School (Joan Holub)
I think a child might enjoy reading this, but it was not written in a style that makes for a good read-aloud. We prefer writing that's more narrative.


I always initiate a mini-narration from him when we're finished so that I know he understood the story. Of course, we read more than these, but many have been listed before, will be blogged about at a later date or weren't worth a report.



To see what others are reading to their children, please visit the link below:

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember to pick up Mattland when the weather warms up outside. Guess we could make a miniature land in the snow, but using mud sounds a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for good nonfiction titles. This looks like a good series. And Mattland looks perfect--especially since you just moved yourselves!

    Thanks for linking up to RAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mattland sounds very interesting! I have to look for it right away.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.