Weekly Wrap-Up

Nursery School Wrap Up


Robbie is 2.5 years old.


Well, here is our first combined Tot/Preschool post. R has had a wonderful week full of all kinds of learning adventures. Here is a synopsis:


intentional learning

Pre-READING

He still brings me his Phonics Pathways book daily and says, "Let's do a reading lesson."

He's also working through his Explode the Code Book 1. I am looking ahead for each section and writing out the answers on another sheet of paper. He then glues the appropriate one when needed instead of having to write words.

He finally got back on Starfall.com, but only once.


Pre-WRITING

He completed a few activities and pages in his Handwriting Without Tears Pre-k book.

He is also still working through his tracing, coloring and cutting books.

Pre-MATH
I'm focusing on the methods used in our Rightstart Activities for the AL Abacus book. I adore this book and method. He's been working on recognizing quantities 1-10 without relying on counting:


He picked his old 0-5 finger cards and both showed and said the number. (I didn't get a photo of that, though.)





Here is his tally stick into activity I made for him. For now, he has the control sheet, but we'll soon move away from it.





He played matching games using different combinations of the tally cards, finger cards and numeral cards I made for him (without counting). He's still working on recognizing 8-10 without relying on counting. He has 6 (5 and 1) and 7 (5 and 2) down.


He also completed several pages in his Essential Kindergarten Math book. I had to make him stop doing these on two different days. He'd do workbooks all day if I'd let him.


practical learning

He helped his Mamoo (my Mom) in her vegetable garden. He also has his own knife (Gerber Graduates) for cutting his food at meal times.


playful learning


He decided to work his inlay puzzles outside of their frames.


He enjoyed coloring with his new Crayola Twistables crayons.


He built these for me using his Fisher-Price TRIO Building Set. He called them a "Stinky Loving Maze" (on the left) and I can't remember the funny name he gave to his tower (on the right). I really love that the tower is built using the blocks upside-down.


natural learning
He went on a nature hike with his Daddy:










extracurricular learning

We went to "Walking With Dinosaurs - The Arena Spectacular". If you haven't heard of this (or even if you have), I'd recommend clicking the link below. The dinosaurs are all life-sized and free moving on the arena floor. R had sooooooo much fun.

(These photos are not ours...)


www.dinosaurlive.com






making mom smile


No, he can't read Beatrix Potter yet, but he loves her stories so much that I found him flipping through the book describing each of the illustrations.


----------------------------

Our other Tot School Updates

See what others have been doing in their Tot Schools

Tot School Homepage

Our other Weekly Wrap-Ups

If you'd like to see how other parents are educating their preschoolers, visit the Preschool Corner.

9 comments:

  1. Just found you blog from Homeschool Creations. Love the math with tally/number cards. Great system for learning!
    www.conkklan5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelby. I'm using Rightstart methods as outlined in the Activities for the AL Abacus book. I'm loving the method (plus, I didn't have to shell out big bucks for their full curriculum levels).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice week! We tried tally marks here too, but daughter doesn't like them. Maybe having a game like this would make it a little more exciting for her. She still has to count anything more than 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tally cards are great! Tweeting your link right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Nature Walk pics! And the Buzz Lightyear shirt :) My son is a huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto the other comments...Those Tally and Finger cards are great...I'm going to bookmark this so I remember to come back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the math activities!!! Great Cards :) Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Another great week! We love TRIO blocks! I came from the Homeschool Creations link up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome math activities. Certainly an inspiring post!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.