Current Read-Alouds

Read-Alouds


These are a few of the books we enjoyed this week.


"The Tales of Beedle the Bard"
J. K. Rowling

This book is a collection of fairy tales. It was originally mentioned in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" as a fictional work containing a tale which was vital to Harry's quest. Rowling later published the collection, with all net proceeds going to The Children's Voice Campaign (currently known as Lumos). We've only read the first tale, "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot", but Robbie really enjoyed it and we had lots of fun discussing the moral of a story meant for a wizarding world* audience (be kind and don't look down upon those less fortunate than yourself).
*Robbie is familiar with Harry Potter and his fictional life.



"The Magic School Bus - Lost in the Solar System"
Joanna Cole
and Bruce Degen

We read this together as part of our relaxed space theme. When their field trip to the planetarium is cancelled, Miss Frizzle takes the class on a tour of the solar system. It is a typical Magic School Bus book, with lots of fun humor and facts dispersed throughout. I've got to get more of these books, Robbie loved this!!



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I almost always initiate a mini-narration from him when we're finished so that I know he understood the story and we discuss the story during and after reading it. Of course, we read more than these, but many have been listed before, will be blogged about at a later date or weren't worth a report.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To see what others are reading to their children (and what some children are reading to their parents), please visit the links below:



3 comments:

  1. I hope my little boys likes the Magic School Bus one day. It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls LOVE Magic School Bus, but I confess I greatly dislike reading them aloud. I've never read anything by J.K. Rowling!

    So glad you linked up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love MSB books too here. I was thinking that Bard book would be a good intro to Harry Potter's world for daughter. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.