Sorting Coins Activity

Backstage Pass


**I do NOT recommend allowing your tot to use any of these items unsupervised.**


After watching RockerTot spend about 45 (quiet, peaceful) minutes playing with the "bank" I made for him out of a plastic jar (using some plastic coins I had purchased years ago for RockerBoy), I realized that I should try to make a sorting activity for the coins as well.


I glued strips of my Dollar Tree foam sheets (these were actually leftovers from our Number Matching Puzzles trimmed to fit into an ice cube tray) to a piece of cardstock for added stability. I then glued a coin to each strip. I then cut each strip out. I chose to do them all "heads up" because I didn't have too many of the dollar and half dollar coins, but you could glue a "tails" right below each of these, too.


Here is our finished sorting activity. He hasn't used this yet. We'll try it out this week and see if it's a hit or a miss.

Pin It

If anyone has created, purchased or used something similar, please post a link in the comments section. I'd love to see!



Tools for Tots

4 comments:

  1. Your timing could not be better. I just bought some play money and a huge floor mat to teach my kids about money. I am going to do this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear how he likes it. I'D be excited to do it! Ha! I'm definitely inspired to make one, as Maddie is super interested in money.

    I have to tell you how much she and I have enjoyed the counting sheet you created. I have some tiny dog and cat counters and she's been using them over and over to "count." If Blogger would cooperate, I have a cute little video of her using your template and counting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.