RockerTot's Gear - Fine Tuning

Backstage Pass


**I do NOT recommend allowing your tot to use any of these items unsupervised.**

I just wanted to share a modification to one of our Tot-School tools that worked for us (in case it could work for you, too).

I purchased bamboo tongs for RockerTot several months ago. Each time I bring them out on a tray, he gets frustrated and reverts to using his hands to transfer the items. I noticed that he would either hold the tongs at the very top or the very bottom (neither of which makes it easy for little hands to use them). I decided to mark them somehow to let him know when he was holding them properly.

I cut sandpaper (not too rough) into strips that are slightly narrower than the side of the tongs and to the length I desired. I glued the sandpaper strips to the outside of the the tongs (on either side). This also adds an additional sensory bonus to the activities.



It worked! RockerTot immediately knew where to place his hand and corrected himself when he placed it wrong! He completed this transferring tray twice in this sitting using only the tongs.



Tools for Tots

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I might have to do that with our tongs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such good ideas! Where were you when my kids were littles? My MIL was a pre-school teacher and SHE doesn't know about half the stuff that you do!!

    GREAT JOB MOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have similar tongs and love this idea. Bear doesn't have a difficulty with them, but I like the idea to add more a more sensory experience to the activity. You have such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.