Current Read-Alouds

Read-Alouds


Click on the cover of any book listed to read more about it.


Here are a few of the new, interesting and/or favorite read-alouds from the past week.


The Empty Pot

"The Empty Pot"
Demi

This story about honesty and its rewards was such a lovely read that I can't wait to share this with Robbie again. I love that the illustrations are in a completely different style from what he is used to. It reminded me that reading these wonderful picture books is a great early exposure to many styles of art.




Lentil

"Lentil"
Robert McCloskey

We are really becoming fans of McCloskey books. I can't seem to put my finger on why we enjoy them so much, but we do. This was a library book, but it's on our list (along with "One Morning in Maine") to add to Robbie's McCloskey collection... he already has "Blueberries for Sal" and "Make Way for Ducklings".




Jumanji

Jumanji"
Chris Van Allsburg

We have read this book before, but (as with everything) Robbie enjoys and understands more as he grows. He requested this from of his read-aloud bookcase and was still mesmerized by the story. His favorite part is when the monkeys invade the kitchen.




The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

"The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"
L. Frank Baum

This got placed onto the back-burner due to our recent travels (we were in West Virginia for a family reunion and I only took our "The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh" due to cramped travelling conditions). We finally resumed our journey through Oz tonight. We have only completed the first 8 chapters because there is so much discussion during each one. I am not complaining, though. These discussions and surprising questions make me realize how much this little guy comprehends.




To see more lists like this from other bloggers, click the links below:

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, we LOVE McCloskey, too! I've blogged about him, too---> http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2010/02/05/authorillustrator-spotlightrobert-mccloskey/

    We read Wizard of Oz earlier this year, too. :-)

    So glad you linked up to Read Aloud Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should dig up my copy of Jumanji and read it to my kids.

    I'm trying to remember there's another good book by McCloskey that I'd recommend, and I'm totally forgetting the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lentil is one we haven't read - but we love Blueberries for Sal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining WMCIR - you are reading some great books. We also enjoyed The Empty Pot, and it has a pretty interesting sequel called The Greatest Power.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.