More Curriculum Modifications

Curriculum


Pre-Reading

Since dropping Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, we've been "winging it" with the lists from Blend Phonics while I decided what to switch to for the long haul. (I tried stalling him for a bit, but he wasn't having that. He was moving on without me, anyway. I thought it best to join him to make sure no bad habits were formed.) I was torn between The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and Phonics Pathways. I have no doubt that these each of these programs can be (and have been) used successfully, so please don't think I have anything against any of the programs I haven't chosen.

I found a used copy of Phonics Pathways online for around $10 (including shipping), so I thought I'd order it to see what it was like. I received it last week and I have to say that I'm more than pleased. My student begs for "reading lessons" several times per day and he loves the short-vowel shuffle game (directions are in the book). I'd love to order some of the other games from Dorbooks, but they are not in our budget. I've tried going to the magnets, magna doodle or whiteboard, but he loves the book... Go figure!

While I learned a few things from 100 Easy Lessons that I still use ("say it fast"), I'm so glad that we're using this now. My little guy is blending with ease and loves the layout of the pages. He instinctively tracks from left to right, top to bottom. I just don't get this kid.

In the long run, I don't know if The Ordinary Parent's Guide would have worked for me, because 100 Easy Lessons and Saxon K have taught me that I don't really care for scripted programs.

Overall, I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.