The Week of the Time Warrior

  Finding Balance in our Days  

This was a week of changes for us.  No, we didn't move, again (thank goodness!!).  We simply tried out an actual daily schedule.. you know, with times and all that.  ;)  We weren't total sticklers, but having it as a guide really helped us with our time management skills.

Actually, this schedule worked brilliantly!  I might post more about it once we've had a bit more time with it under our belts.

Okay... enough of my yakking... on to the actual post!


Reading, Writing, Grammar, Spelling




Our Language Arts works its way across our curriculum.  

It seems to be difficult to snap photos of most of Robbie's language arts work.  It occurred to me that I actually DO get pics most weeks, but they're cross-curricular.  He does reading, copywork, narrations and even handwriting as part of his history and science.  Spelling naturally carries over to every written subject, as well.

Of course, he still does actual work from his language arts books... I just rarely seem to have photo proof.

WHAT WE READ:





Math



The many faces of math  

We covered so many topics this week in math (through Singapore, with our skip counting and simply during Robbie's "free math" explorations).  The image above shows a small sampling.  Right now, I'm simply trying to gently build his stamina.  His mind is ready for so much more than we're doing, but he simply needs to be able to write a bit more without whining.


History and Geography





We began our study of Ancient Egypt with some reading and fun, hands-on activities.

Sugar cookie mapping was a big success!!  (Robbie ate his too quickly.. the completed photo is of mine.)

Robbie's double crown of Ancient Egypt was a long and messy project, but we both enjoyed it.  

We still have a few weeks of Ancient Egypt, so I hope to put together a post of all of it when we're through.

BOOKS USED THIS WEEK:




Science




In his second week of mollusk study, he learned about cephalopods.  I found a short octopus reading comprehension sheet online (can't remember where.. if I do, I'll post the link).  He did his vocabulary/copywork sheet, ate some octopus hot dogs and read some books.

The whole family learned new things.. an octopus truly is amazing!

BOOKS USED THIS WEEK:





Greek and Latin




... kappa, lambda, mu ...

Greek handwriting, games and making flash cards...  



Art and Music




We all enjoyed using our watercolor tubes for the first time!!

As a family, we really enjoyed the short artist study and art project we chose (Hendrick Avercamp) from our Usborne Art Treasury book.


Extracurriculars, Playtime, Family... etc...




Basketball:  I never knew that 1st and 2nd graders could be such fierce competitors...

Robbie did much better at his second basketball game.  He actually played!!  This enabled me to pay attention to the game as a whole... and I was shocked by how good most of the players were.  It was a very good game!



So.... what have you been up to this week?



Linking Up At (when applicable)
Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers History and Geography Trivium Tuesdays Collage Friday Hip Homeschool Hop


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love that crown! That is awesome. I always love the end result of paper mache projects, I just hate the time to make them. Isn't that sad?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.