Looking Back: DIY Geoboard


Way back in 2009, I posted about one of my first DIY educational projects... a tot-friendly (with supervision, of course) geoboard.  (Original post can be found here.)

This was a big hit with Robbie (who was 25 months old, I believe).  We used hair elastics with no metal bands to make it easier on his baby fingers.  He used this geoboard (and loved it) until his chubby little fingers were ready for the real deal.




He continued to love playing with geoboards.  We'd take turns duplicating what the other had created with the bands, he'd create beloved characters, see how far a band would stretch before snapping, see how many bands he could get to stay on a single peg, make harps and guitars... you name it!  Oh!.. and of course, he made shapes... lots and lots of shapes.  He turned this shape into that shape and back.  He loved the shapes.



In recent years, our geoboards have been used while learning the basics of multiplication, perimeter, area and more.



I truly believe that all of that free exploration was one of the best early math activities we ever had.  Our DIY Geoboard.. that rough hunk of scrap wood and push pins, was just the beginning.  We now own (and love) several commercially available geoboards, both wooden and plastic with varying numbers of pegs, but I'm so glad we started here.


Some other DIY geoboards I love.. 
(some that even the kids can make!!) 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIY Geoboard With Fabric Loops (Crayon Box Chronicles)

DIY Geoboard With a Twist (Powerful Mothering)

DIY Foam Geoboard Tree (Fun-A-Day)

Make Your Own Geoboard (Mama Jenn)

DIY Geoboard for Kids (Phoebe Gander Creative Mother)

Geoboard (Adventures of Bear)





Linking Up At
Tot School Gathering Place Hip Homeschool Hop

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through 1+1+1 Tot School Gathering Place. I just have to say,I am glad that my children are not the only ones to use the geoboard as a guitar - I can't tell you how many times I've seen the bands all stretched straight across in neat rows, and walk in to see/hear them 'playing the guitar' and singing some song... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... it's good to know that he's not the only one, as well! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.